Friday, September 20, 2013

Reflection

The past four weeks in this class have been really interesting, to say the least. I came into this class with a general idea of what to expect, but Mrs. Endicott has taken my expectations to new levels. I've loved every single activity we've done, the stories we've read, and the assignments we've had. I really feel like Mrs. Endicott is doing a great job with this class, mainly because she has gotten me to really think in a new way and see things differently, which is an accomplishment all by itself.

I've learned so many things from this class, already. I've learned that I do have the ability to think in new ways and to continually get better and better at both writing and analyzing. I've learned that literature doesn't suck, contrary to what I used to think of it. I learned that a little positive encouragement is all that it takes to get me to focus and really try my best.

My favorite short story was The Sorrowful Woman, mainly because of the message that it sends out to the readers. At first, I didn't understand the meaning of the story at all. But as I've learned how to analyze and look into these things, I now understand that this story is all about feminism. It highlights the fact that women are expected to fill so many roles and always be in the right role, to the extreme point that women are dying because of the work they have to do that is deemed "unfit" for men to do. I really enjoyed the fact that a story with such a deep message is out there.

My least favorite short story was definitely Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge. I think that I didn't like it because it was a little hard to follow, mainly because it brought history into the story. I also didn't like that the ending could be taken in many different ways. I dislike open ended stories. I have to have a solid ending for closure.

In the future, Mrs. Endicott should just continue doing what she's been doing. She's doing a great job. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment