Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Final Reflection




1.       What was your favorite lesson this year and why?

My favorite lesson this year was the entire unit on How to Read Literature Like a Professor because I think that you did very well in teaching it. I think your activities really enforced the things to be learned and I liked that the book covered the span of the entire year in relation to the future activities we did beyond finishing the book. I also really liked the lesson with the short stories that we had to rewrite; not only did it encourage creativity, it made us subconsciously analyze the text to find the meaning and tone and rewrite it in our own words. You should definitely keep both of these for next year.

2.       What was your least favorite lesson this year? Why?

My least favorite lesson this year was the entire poetry unit. I’ve never understood poetry in my life and trying to analyze it was torture in my honest opinion. However, I think you covered a lot in a short amount of time so it was understandable that you couldn’t cover everything. I think my dislike was based on my own opinion of the unit.

3.       Academically, what have you learned from this class?

Academically speaking, I’ve learned so much this year. The most important thing I’ve learned, in my opinion, is how to analyze literature. I was okay at that before, but after spending the year in here I can look so much deeper into the writing and see things and connections I wouldn’t have seen before we did How to Read Literature Like a Professor. I’ve also learned how to write better; you helped me find my strengths and weaknesses and I built upon those to make my essays and my papers better. Poetry, though, was the biggest thing I learned. The main thing I learned with that was to not read too much into things, and that sometimes things are literal.

4.       What life lessons have you learned from this class?

I think I’ve honestly learned too many life lessons from this class to name. It took me forever to realize that you were making us read things that could be considered controversial mainly for the life lessons we would take from the text. The little things we could relate to was what we were looking for, and I guarantee most of us didn’t even pick up that we were learning life lessons at the time we were reading or talking. I think the most important life lesson I’ve learned from this class is that I am not alone. Though I sometimes feel alone and empty, I’m realistically not. There’s always someone to lean on who has been through the things I’ve been through and who knows how to be there for me. I’ve also learned that there is a lot more to people than what you see on the surface; taking you for example, I never would’ve known you’ve been through some of the things I’ve been through since you appear so happy and content and at peace. I also learned that there is healing and life will go on, no matter how much it hurts now or how unlikely you think your chances of redemption are.

5.       What can I change and improve upon as an educator to make this class more beneficial for future classes?

I honestly think that you’ve done a great job this year, considering it’s your first your teaching AP Lit and you had so much to cover in such a short amount of time. The only thing I can think of is that maybe you could be a little less lenient with turning in assignments in some cases. Boundaries should be set and applied even if angry parents get in the way; it is the student’s responsibility to keep up with and do their work and if they fail to do so, then they deserve the grade you give them. Also, I think that doing this would make them more prepared for college considering the professors will not take excuses and such for missing/late assignments. Also maybe you should learn a little English since you teach it. (I’m just kidding, lol. Love you, Katie! J)


6.       Final thoughts and opinions

I came into this class not knowing what to expect, even though I’d had you as a teacher before and knew about the way you run your classroom. I never expected that it would become such an emotional, open place where everyone felt accepted, at least while inside of the classroom. I think that for your first year teaching AP, you’ve done a wonderful job and you really prepared us for the AP Exam – seriously, I thought it was the easiest test I’ve ever taken, and that’s because of you and the strategies you used to help prepare us for it. I think that even though there were minor faults and incidents, you moved on with pride and you really did what you were supposed to do and in my honest opinion, I don’t think there’s anyone better suited to teach AP Lit.

No comments:

Post a Comment