Sunday, April 6, 2014

AP Exam Response Questions

1. Examine the rubric closely. What score do you deserve based on that rubric? Justify why by giving examples. 

Based on the rubric, I think I deserve either a 6 or 7. I would say probably a 7, at the risk of sounding too self-assured. According to the rubric for a score of 6 or 7, “These essays offer a reasonable analysis of a single pivotal moment in the psychological or moral development of the protagonist in a bildungsroman and how that single moment shapes the meaning of the work as a whole. These essays analyze how the pivotal moment shapes the entire work. While these essays show insight and understanding, their analysis is less thorough, less perceptive, and/or less specific in supporting detail than that of the 9–8 essays.” I think that I did exactly that through my analysis of the fighting scene between Assef and Amir. I was able to relate it back to Amir’s past and the overall meaning of the work. I just didn’t do it in as much detail as I should have, and I probably could have used more textual support. Actually, I definitely could have used more textual support but I feel that what I did use was used appropriately and was sufficient enough to score me a 7.

2. Read the student performance "Common errors" section. What common errors did you commit? If you were going to do this prompt over again, how would you correct these errors?

The first error that I committed was that I did a lot of plot summary in my essay. Even though my analysis was sufficient and I got my point across, I feel like I just summarized several parts. Also, while I did pick a moment that was a pivotal moment, it was also a turning point for the story which I guess is what made it easier to write about. If I was going to redo this, I would work on explaining more than summarizing and on focusing in on a more relevant situation that would allow me to talk about how it relates to the character’s journey into adulthood and how it changed them in relation to the meaning of the story. I did this, loosely, but I feel that I could do better.

3. After reading the student response examples what have you learned? Is there anything specifically you would change in your own paper?

I’ve learned that essays that are scored 8 and 9 are much better than mine. That was a joke. Anyway, I learned that essays that are scored an 8 or 9 are very descriptive and very focused on the prompt and getting their point across. The vocabulary and diction/sentence structure are elevated and sophisticated. Essays that are marked at a 6 or 7 do a sufficient analysis, but lesser than the ones scored higher, much like my essay. Anything below that doesn’t really do much analyzing but rather summarize plot. I could honestly work on using upper level vocabulary and work on varying my sentence structure and focusing more on the prompt when I write.

4. What aspect of timed writings do you feel you need the most help on? What do you suggest we do in class to help with this?

I don’t know about needing help on anything, but I know that textual support has always been my weakest area. I never have much of it and sometimes what I pick as textual support isn’t relevant, really. Maybe there are some exercises or something we could do about that. I also sometimes have trouble understanding what the prompt wants so it takes me longer to get started. Maybe we could have some practice exams or something to help with this.

No comments:

Post a Comment